Letter: Whitewater River Parkway bike trail not well thought-out
9:00 PM, Mar. 31, 2012
The Desert Sun, Letters to the Editor
This bike and cart path plan is a great idea at first sight, except what happens next? The first costs are projected in at $53 million to $77 million. So, after it opens what about the following:
• Safety: Fence, cameras every mile and emergency phone boxes.
• Ongoing maintenance: Pathway and electric, etc.
• Crime: Vandals, graffiti, robbers, abductions, insurance, etc.
• Costs: Will triple to $150 million plus.
• Responsibilities: County, valley task force or cities?
There is much to review here that has not been mentioned, and until that happens this should be tabled. Shame on you for not doing the entire plan for the public’s due diligence.
— Robert F. Sylk, La Quinta